Wednesday 15 July 2015

My handmade business - Baillie Day


 Beginnings 




I started my business in 2008, however it was half hearted and my photos weren't great. I opened an etsy shop and listed around 10 items and never really thought anything about it. In 2011, my daughter Lily was born, and while on maternity leave, I decided to give the business another go.

Starting Up Properly

I took better photographs (still not great, I was using a vintage suitcase as a background, which was a nice effect, but didn't make the products easy to see). I also updated the listings with new products. I had made a pocket watch necklace for myself in 2008 and loved it, but hadn't thought about making that the basis of the business until 2011, when I realised that other people were commenting on my necklace.

Necklaces

I decided to have themed necklaces, such as this Alice in Wonderland one. I originally bought the drink me bottles from another seller in Scotland, but when she went out of business, I decided to make them myself. This is much better from a cost perspective, but more importantly, I could then customise the bottles, an aspect I'm still developing, so watch this space!

All my pocket watches are new and working, the watches are stopped when they are posted out, blog post coming soon on how to start them and adjust the time!
Alice in Wonderland Pocket Watch Necklace - £19
My Beauty and the Beast Necklace is one of my best sellers and I absolutely love the real glass mirror, I think it is perfect for any fan! The themed necklaces are all inspired by fairytales and classic novels, which I have loved since I was little.
Beauty and the Beast - £19
The non-themed necklaces are inspired by charms I think work well, such as this wire wrapped star and brown pearl. My favourite non-themed pocket watch is my giraffe and elephant ones. I have a silver and an antique gold version (my favourite)!
Wire wrapped Pocket Watch - £17

Giraffe and Elephant Pocket Watch - £17

Giraffe and Elephant Key Ring Watch - £12
Recently, I have started thinking of other necklaces which don't include pocket watches, these haven't been as popular in the past, but sometimes you don't want a large necklace, just something delicate. One of my favourites are my glitter bottles, the one below is Cinderella, and I love it! They look great in person too!
Cinderella Glitter Necklace - £13
Other Jewellery

I also have earrings, adjustable rings, cufflinks and bracelets in my shop. At the moment, all of the products are listed on Etsy at Baillie Day Etsy Shop. I am slowly updating my Folksy Shop with more listings and have now started my own website at Online Shop. I will be running special offers on my online shop in the next few weeks.
Giant Giraffe Earrings - £5

Mystery Lucky Dip Box - £30
Future Products

I have an abundance of other products floating around my head, I have started listing some of these; such as my typewritten vows, scrabble and monopoly books and lino print cards. I want to develop these further and add in screen printing and letterpress....one day!

Scrabble Book - £14

Lily Lino Print - £2.50

Wedding Vows Typewritten - £10


No comments:

Post a Comment